The Safety of Sedation Dentistry
Northern Virginia areas including Arlington, Tysons Corner, Alexandria, Fairfax and McLean
Many patients experience fear and anxiety around going to the dentist. While virtually nobody looks forward to a root canal, some individuals experience debilitating nervousness even with routine checkups and cleanings. Sedation dentistry is an excellent option for patients who fear the dentist, but you may naturally be worried about its potential safety. The experienced Arlington cosmetic dentists at Galleria Dental Aesthetics are experts in sedation dentistry and would be happy to address any concerns you may have. Please contact Galleria Dental Aesthetics at 703.448.1020 today to arrange a consultation.
WHAT IS SEDATION DENTISTRY?
As the name suggests, sedation dentistry involves performing dental procedures while the patient is sedated. This approach offers numerous advantages for patients who experience anxiety in the dental office:
- The option of sedation encourages patients who might otherwise avoid the dentist to get the oral care they need.
- Sedation lets patients relax and be comfortable while the dentist performs the necessary procedures.
- Because a sedated patient is easier to work on than one who is on edge, the dentist is able to perform his or her work more efficiently and safely.
Even if you aren’t particularly afraid of going to the dentist, sedation dentistry can make you more comfortable during certain kinds of dental procedures.
WHAT DOES SEDATION DENTISTRY INVOLVE?
Our cosmetic dentists administer two kinds of sedation for our Arlington patients:
- Oral conscious sedation is the simplest form of sedation. You take a pill before your procedure, and wait for the effects to kick in. You’ll remain awake, but you’ll enjoy a peaceful state of relaxation while our dentists complete your procedure. Patients who receive oral sedatives require a ride to and from our office, as the medication’s effects do not permit operation of a motor vehicle.
- Intravenous (IV) conscious sedation involves intravenously introducing liquid sedatives directly into the bloodstream. This allows our board-certified anesthesiologists much more precision in delivering, monitoring, and adjusting your level of sedation. As with the oral sedative option, you’ll remain awake and able to communicate, but you’ll feel pleasantly relaxed.
HOW SAFE IS SEDATION DENTISTRY?
Sedation dentistry enjoys a very safe track record. Our board-certified sedation dentists monitor your vital signs and blood pressure throughout the process to ensure that you remain healthy and alert. Contrary to common misconception, you never fall asleep during sedation dentistry: You merely become very relaxed. Sedation is also highly regulated. In fact, the Virginia Board of Dentistry requires that sedation dentists complete special training in order to offer this service to our patients.
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way to get the dental care you need, comfortably and with minimal stress. To learn more about sedation dentistry and arrange your next appointment with one of our Arlington cosmetic dentists, please contact Galleria Dental Aesthetics today at 703.448.1020.