Porcelain Dental Inlays/Onlays
Northern Virginia, including Arlington, Tysons Corner, Alexandria, Fairfax, and McLean, Virginia Dentist
If you experience mild to moderate tooth decay, fractures or cracks in a tooth, but the damage is not severe enough to require a dental crown, dental inlays or onlays may be just what the cosmetic dentist orders to restore your smile.
DENTAL INLAYS VS. DENTAL ONLAYS
The use of a dental inlay or a dental onlay depends on the location of the tooth decay or damage:
- Damage to the upper surface of the teeth requires a dental inlay. The restoration material will be bonded within the tooth surface.
- Damage that includes surface structure as well as to one or more cusps of the teeth requires a dental onlay. The restoration may even cover the entire biting surface.
DENTAL INLAY & ONLAY PROCEDURE
Both processes are essentially the same and require two visits to our office. During the first visit, we will prepare the damaged tooth by removing all decay. We will then make a mold so a custom porcelain dental inlay or onlay can be manufactured. The porcelain can be matched to your existing smile, so it integrates impeccably with your smile.
It will take approximately two weeks to create your porcelain dental inlay or dental onlay. A temporary dental inlay or onlay will be attached to your prepared tooth to use during the interim.
When we have received your lab-fabricated, precision fit, porcelain dental restoration, you will return to the office. We can thoroughly check the dental inlay or onlay for precise fit, comfort and function. When the fit is satisfactory we bond the permanent restoration to the tooth, and adjust for a proper bite and polish.
BENEFITS OF PORCELAIN INLAYS & ONLAYS
There are many benefits of porcelain inlays and onlays:
- They strengthen damaged or decayed teeth.
- Porcelain materials can match your smile, making them virtually invisible
- There is no expansion or contraction of the porcelain material, which can lead to tooth fractures
- The restorations preserve more of your natural tooth during this process
- They are durable and long-lasting