Questions to Ask Your Sedation Dentist
Northern Virginia, including Arlington, Tysons Corner, Alexandria, Fairfax, and McLean, Virginia
At Galleria Dental Aesthetics we do everything possible to ensure that you have the most pleasant visit possible at our office. However, regardless of the VIP treatments we offer and personal attention we provide, some patients are frightened or anxious about undergoing dental procedures. Our various Alexandria sedation dentistry options help to alleviate some of those fears and allow patients to receive the cosmetic dentistry treatments they need to get the smile they’ve dreamed of having.
SLEEP DENTISTRY VS. SEDATION DENTISTRY
Sometimes sedation dentistry and sleep dentistry terms are used interchangeably. Sleep dentistry is a bit of a misnomer because you do not actually sleep during sedation dentistry. Sedation dentistry is actually conscious sedation, meaning that you may become drowsy but remain awake during the entire dental procedure. However, it is true that many patients do not remember many of the specific aspects of the procedures.
DISCUSSION POINTS FOR SEDATION DENTISTS
Not all dentists provide the same types of sedation methods for their patients. At Galleria Dental Aesthetics, our sedation dentists are members of the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation (DOCS) and are trained to offer Oral Conscious Sedation as well as our association with a group of board certified anesthesiologist that provide Intravenous (IV) Conscious Sedation. If you are researching different sedation dentists, here are several questions you should ask:
- How long has the dentist been performing sedation techniques?
- What types of sedation does the practice offer?
- What level of dental sedation can you expect?
- How often are the different types of sedation options actually performed in the office?
- Does the dentist have a board certified anesthesiologist available for IV sedation?
- If necessary, can multiple dental procedures be performed during one sedation visit?
- Does the dentist inquire about your current medical conditions, what medications you are taking and any allergic reactions you have had in the past?
- Does the dentist provide sedation dentistry for children, adults or special needs patients, if applicable?
- What special accommodations will you need to make after receiving sedation dentistry, such as having a friend or family member drive you home?
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
If you fear of visiting the dentist, but also have a great desire to undergo life-changing cosmetic dentistry procedures, please contact the knowledgeable and experienced Alexandria sedation dentists at Galleria Dental Aesthetics in Northern Virginia for a sedation dentistry consultation. We serve patients in Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, McLean, and Tysons Corner, Virginia.