Sedation Dentistry in Northern Virginia, including Arlington, Tysons Corner, Alexandria, Fairfax, and McLean, Virginia Sedation Dentist
At Galleria Dental Aesthetics, Alexandria sedation dentistry is a viable option if you experience discomfort during dental procedures or have a fear of having dental work done. Sedation dentistry, also called conscious sedation because you are never truly asleep, is performed by administering a sedative medication to help you stay calm and anxiety free during your dental procedure.
You may want to consider sedation dentistry if you:
- Have dental phobia (a high level of anxiety or fear when going to the dentist)
- Need more extensive dental work, or elect to undergo several dental procedures simultaneously
- Want to get your dentistry done in fewer visits
- Have back or neck problems
- Have chronic soreness in your jaw
- Have trouble becoming numb during dental procedures
- Have a strong gag reflex
- Have other health problems that keep you from seeking dental care
Our team of board certified anesthesiologists offers the latest sedation dentistry options so that you can comfortably get the dental care you need. Our dentists are also members of the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation (DOCS) and have the advanced training to offer oral conscious sedation and intravenous (IV) conscious sedation.
ORAL CONSCIOUS SEDATION DENTISTRY
Our sedation dentists in Alexandria perform oral conscious sedation dentistry by administering a pill or oral sedative.
IV CONSCIOUS SEDATION DENTISTRY
With intravenous conscious sedation, our board certified anesthesiologists administer medications directly into the blood stream. Some advantages of IV sedation are:
- Additional medication can be administered in the event the desired level of conscious sedation is not achieved
- The effects are immediate
- The drugs used for IV sedation are more effective than the same drugs taken orally
- You are still able to communicate with the doctor during the procedure
- Upon completion of treatment, “waking up” occurs relatively quickly
SEDATION AND ANESTHETIC INJECTIONS
Sedation dentistry isn’t the same as local anesthetic injections. In fact, you may require a local anesthetic to block pain, but the injection is given after you are comfortable and sedated. In most cases, you will not be bothered by the injection, or even remember it.
I had tetracycline staining on most of my teeth. That, along with holes from orthodontia and lots of overlapping left me with a less than perfect smile. When Dr. Lee explained what could be done and how eight veneers could totally transform my look, I decided to go for it. Now I feel so much better about my appearance. I have more confidence because I feel more comfortable. And I really think people listen to me more than they ever did before. I tell people that if they can afford it, then they should do it. I’m glad I did. – Brian
Don’t let your anxiety keep you from getting the perfect smile you have always wanted. To learn more about the safety of sedation dentistry and your options, please contacts us at 703.448.1020 and our experienced staff will be happy to answer any question you may have.
- Questions to Ask Your Sedation Dentist
- The Safety of Sedation Dentistry
- Why Sedation Dentistry Works
If you are in the Alexandria, Fairfax, McLean, Arlington or Tysons Corner, Virginia area, and believe you may be a candidate for sedation dentistry in Alexandria, please contact the experienced sedation dentists at Galleria Dental Aesthetics in Northern Virginia today.