Northern Virginia, including Arlington, Tysons Corner, Alexandria, Fairfax, and McLean, Virginia
What Is a Full Mouth Restoration?
Also known as a smile makeover, a full mouth restoration fixes multiple dental problems in just a few visits, rather than fixing them one at a time over a long period of time. A full mouth restoration allows multiple problems to be addressed.
A smile makeover involves a variety of cosmetic dentistry procedures — everything from gum contouring to dental implants to porcelain veneers — to truly “makeover” a person’s smile. Each patient’s situation is unique, and at Galleria Dental Aesthetics our team of cosmetic dentists plans your makeover accordingly.
What Problems Can a Smile Makeover Address?
How we approach your smile makeover begins during your consultation with your dentist at Galleria Dental Aesthetics. We’ll ask you just what you like and dislike about your smile. You could feel that your gums are too “gummy.” Maybe you have a chipped tooth. Maybe tetracycline given to you as a kid has permanently stained your teeth. Just as each patient is unique, so is his or her smile.
A smile makeover at Galleria Dental Aesthetics can address the following problems:
- Alignment and spacing – Our smile makeovers don’t include serious tooth movement; that’s the job of orthodontics. But we target problems such as gaps between teeth, misshapen teeth, and slightly crooked teeth. Porcelain veneers and crowns do an amazing job masking these flaws.
- Missing teeth – Replacing a missing tooth or teeth isn’t technically “cosmetic,” but it’s a necessary part of any true smile makeover. For replacing a single tooth or two, we prefer to place dental implants. If you’re missing a series of teeth, a bridge or a partial denture can be used.
- Tooth color – Teeth whitening is usually the first part of every smile makeover Why first? We want to get your teeth back to their natural whiteness before we try and match that shade with crowns, bonding, or veneers. If your teeth are stained on the interior, the dentin, then whitening doesn’t help. We can place porcelain veneers over these stained teeth.
- Balance – Just like other features of your face, your teeth need to be proportional. That’s why it can be so distracting when talking with a person with a gummy smile. To fix that, we can remove extra gum tissue in an efficient and remarkably comfortable way. Uneven, chipped, and cracked teeth can be covered with dental bonding, porcelain veneers, or a porcelain crown.
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Smile Makeover?
No one is born with perfect teeth. Just about everyone has some flaw they would like to correct, and a smile makeover with Galleria Dental Aesthetics can do that. But before we can do any procedures such as applying veneers, your overall oral health needs to be good. You have to remember that our smile makeovers are cosmetic procedures. Serious oral problems such as gum disease, missing the majority of your teeth, having severely decayed teeth, and the like need to be taken care of before your smile makeover can happen. Also, after your makeover, it’s important that you commit to a diligent home hygiene regiment to maintain your results.
You may be a candidate for a smile makeover if you have:
- Stained or discolored teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Uneven or misshapen teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- A gummy smile
- Missing or decayed teeth
We look at your whole mouth and how everything works in harmony. We have state-of-the-art technology, and our cosmetic dentists in Northern Virginia have the education and experience to handle highly complex cases. For patients with more complex cases, we offer the convenience of sedation dentistry to ensure your comfort.
What Procedures Can Be Performed During a Smile Makeover?
At Galleria Dental Aesthetics, we don’t use a pre-set “menu” for our smile makeovers. We take into account your personal needs and incorporate the procedures that will give you a dazzling smile. While one person may present with a minor dental problem, some may need several restorative solutions to transform their smile. Unattractive stained teeth can be whitened; chipped teeth, crooked teeth, and gaps between teeth can typically be fixed with porcelain veneers, and missing teeth can be replaced with dental implants.
Depending on your unique goals and oral condition, your smile enhancement may include:
- Teeth whitening — Using our hydrogen peroxide whitening gels, we return your teeth to their natural color, removing stains from coffee, red wine, and the passage of time. In most cases, we use our Zoom! in-office whitening treatment for the fastest, brightest results.
- Porcelain veneers — These thin wafers of porcelain are applied to the fronts of the teeth to give your teeth perfect symmetry and a bright white sheen.
- Tooth-colored fillings — Old silver amalgam fillings are replaced with new tooth-colored fillings that are made of composite resin and are invisible once in place. At Galleria Dental, we are a metal-free practice.
- Gum contouring — Using a diode soft-tissue laser, we can remove excess gum tissue, making your teeth appear longer and in proportion. The laser not only removes the unwanted tissue, but it also seals the incision instantly, preventing bleeding and vastly decreasing the chances of infection. It also makes the procedure virtually painless afterwards.
- Porcelain crowns — If a tooth has a deep crack or maybe has a large filling that needs replacing, the strength of the tooth is compromised. In these cases, we use a porcelain crown to overlay the entire tooth all the way down to the gumline. Crowns return strength and function to a tooth and can be used to change the overall shape of the tooth.
- Dental bonding — For small chips or subtle changes in one or more teeth, we may use dental bonding. Tooth bonding uses composite resin that is painted on in thin layers and then cured to cover imperfections or change the shape of a tooth. The downside of bonding is that it doesn’t last as long as porcelain veneers.
- Dental implants — At Galleria Dental Aesthetics, we believe dental implants are the superior method for replacing a tooth. Implants feature a titanium implant that is screwed down into the jawbone. The jawbone then grows around the implant, fully incorporating it. A post is attached to the implant with a porcelain false tooth atop that. Implants function exactly like natural teeth.
If you need more than one dental procedure performed, the cosmetic dentists at Galleria Dental Aesthetics may recommend a smile makeover (full mouth restoration).
How long will these procedures take with a smile makeover?
Not to be vague, but how long your smile makeover will take is unique to your situation. For instance, placing a dental implant takes months, as your jawbone needs to grow around the implant. But teeth whitening takes just 45 minutes with our Zoom! system. Bonding is done in a single appointment, while placing a crown requires two appointments. During your consultation, after we see what will be involved with your smile makeover, we can give you a realistic idea of how long the process will take.
How Much Does a Smile Makeover Cost?
Again, there isn’t a set menu of procedures in a Galleria Dental Aesthetics smile makeover. We’ll design a treatment plan for your needs and you’ll be in the loop the entire way about what your procedures will cost.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are ready to take the next step toward getting the smile you always wanted, please contact our office to schedule a smile makeover consultation. If you are in the Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Tysons Corner, or McLean, Virginia area, call (703) 448-1020 or schedule a consultation online at Galleria Dental Aesthetics in Northern Virginia.