All tooth whitening procedures may cause mild sensitivity, but more serious sensitivity is typically caused by:
- Excessively high concentrations of the bleaching agent.
- Applying the whitening gel longer than necessary.
- Whitening at an unnecessary and excessive frequency.
The above factors are most often associated with whitening completed outside a dentist’s office.
At Galleria Dental Aesthetics, our cosmetic dentists have extensive experience in providing safe whitening treatments. If you experience sensitivity after your whitening treatment, we can suggest various ways of decreasing the discomfort you feel.
After your teeth are whitened, you may want to consider:
- using a soothing fluoridate gel or paste.
- Brushing your teeth with lukewarm water, instead of hot or cold water.
- Avoiding extremely acidic, hot or cold foods temporarily.
If you continue to experience unmanageable sensitivity, please contact our office so we can determine the best way to treat your teeth sensitivity.
To learn more about tooth whitening available to people living in McLean, Arlington, Alexandria, Tysons Corner, Fairfax or the surrounding Northern Virginia areas, please contact the experienced cosmetic dentists at Galleria Dental Aesthetics to schedule a consultation.