Dental Hygiene/Teeth Cleaning
One of the easiest things you can do for your overall health is practice good dental hygiene and teeth cleaning. The overall health of your teeth and gums can impact your physical health, well-being and self-confidence level. However, it is not just enough to simply brush your teeth; you need to have the knowledge and proper tools to get the job done right. At Galleria Dental Aesthetics, our family dentist in Fairfax provides a full range of superior dental care for people of all ages, but the foundation of our practice is always promoting a healthy smile through preventive general dentistry.
Daily tooth brushing and flossing helps to rid the teeth and gums of a sticky bacterium called plaque. Everyone has plaque that attempts to break down tooth enamel and irritate the gums. The build-up of plaque can lead to tooth decay, gum disease and tooth loss.
By consuming healthy foods, limiting unhealthy snacks between meals, brushing after meals and flossing daily, plaque acids do not have as much opportunity to build up and create havoc on your smile.
THE BEST WAYS TO BRUSH AND FLOSS
Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once a day to help remove harmful plaque from around the tooth enamel and gums. The best way to brush your teeth is to:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush that fits the size of your mouth and allows you to reach all teeth
- Position your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle to the gum line
- Gently brush all surfaces of your teeth by starting on the gums and brushing with short strokes, up and over the teeth being cognizant of
- the hard-to-reach back teeth
- Brush your tongue; it retains bacteria and cause bad breath
- Use an ADA approved fluoride toothpaste
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months
- Dependent on your personal oral hygiene needs, an electric toothbrush may be recommended
The proper way to floss is to:
- Gently move the floss between teeth, being careful not to irritate the gum line
- Gently wrap the floss in a “C” shape around the tooth at the gum line, and move the floss under the gums with a scraping motion until resistance, but not discomfort, is achieved. Plaque is a very sticky and highly retentive and requires mechanical removal several times every day, either with a toothbrush or dental floss.
PROFESSIONAL TEETH CLEANING
At-home brushing and flossing can help keep your teeth and gums relatively free of plaque. However, professional dental cleanings are vital to remove hard and soft deposits that cannot be done at home. We recommend that our patients visit our office every six months at a minimum. Each patient presents with different oral health needs and a more frequent recare interval may be necessary for a professional cleaning and so we can identify any trouble areas that may be forming.
If you live in the Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, McLean, Reston, Tysons Corner or Northern Virginia area, please contact the knowledgeable and experienced family dentists at Galleria Dental Aesthetics for regular teeth cleaning and dental hygiene checkups. Call (703) 448-1020 today!