When patients are asked how they can maintain a smile free from disease and cavities, they often bring to attention routine dental care at home, including brushing and flossing after every meal and visiting the dentist regularly. While this is important in keeping the smile healthy, so are the foods that we eat. Many patients will find that by following certain recommendations regarding the foods they eat, they are able to keep their smile healthier for longer! Dr. Chong Lee of Galleria Dental Aesthetics encourages patients to learn about ways in which changing the diet can improve oral health.
Tips for a healthy smile
- Reduce sugar intake – sugar is one of the primary reasons why cavities form. Instead of inhaling that holiday candy, consider restricting your sugar intake and brushing your teeth immediately after having high-sugar snacks.
- Avoid ice cubes – many patients love to chew on ice cubes, but it can be easy to damage the smile by doing so. Patients should avoid chewing on ice cubes and other hard foods and objects to avoid breaking natural teeth or damaging restorations.
- Consider your citrus intake – another culprit is that of acidic foods. Citrus fruits often have high levels of acid that can cause enamel erosion. If eating citrus, be sure to brush the teeth afterwards to keep acids from damaging the smile.
- Coffee – while many patients rely on coffee to get them going in the morning, this beverage I also known for harming the teeth. It is one of the more common causes for staining of the teeth, but the sugar and creamer used in coffee can also increase sugar that can coat the surface of the teeth.
- Red wines – another consideration for reducing staining and discoloration of the teeth is to limit or eliminate red wine. Wine and other alcoholic beverages should be consumed in moderation to maintain a healthy lifestyle regardless of how it impacts your smile.
Obtain quality dental care in McLean, VA with Galleria Dental Aesthetics
Call (703) 448-1020 to learn more about the advantages of changing your diet to improve your smile. Dr. Chong Lee and his associates provide a wide selection of services for the smile, ensuring everyone has a reason to feel confident and beautiful! The office is located at 1600 Tysons Boulevard, Suite #120 and accepts new patients and families.