The concerns your dentist may have with oral piercings
- Posted on: Jul 15 2020
Piercings have become a popular form of self-expression for patients of all ages. Whether a young girl has her ears pierced or an older man considering piercing his lip, there are certain concerns that develop as a result of these body modifications. Dr. Chong Lee is the dentist of Galleria Dental Aesthetics in McLean, VA and wants to educate patients on the concerns with certain oral piercings.
Types of oral piercings
There are a wide range of oral piercing options for patients to choose from. Some of the more common piercings include:
- Tongue piercings
- Frenulum piercings
- Lip piercings
- Uvula piercings
- Cheek piercings
What are the risks of piercings?
Piercings anywhere on the body may become problematic for patients, and there are always concerns with infection. In fact, some of the more common complications with oral piercings include:
- Metal allergies
Why dentists advise against oral piercings
Many dentists understand the risks of oral piercings, and will often advise patients against getting them. However, there are patients who choose to move forward with them regardless. In order to maintain these oral piercings, patients need to be well-educated on how to take care of them to reduce the above risks and complications.
If oral piercings are present, our dental team may advise the following steps to take care of them:
- Reduce bacteria in the mouth with good oral hygiene habits, including brushing and flossing after meals
- Avoid the use of tobacco products as these can cause irritation to the soft tissues
- Avoid foods that could irate the piercing, including those that are spicy and salty
- Reduce the chance of infection when changing or cleaning oral piercing jewelry by washing hands before handling them
- Utilize anti-inflammatory medications to manage pain and swelling after the piercing is completed
- Avoid the risk of accidents such as tearing or yanking of oral piercings
Learn more about how to care for your smile
Dr. Chong Lee and the associates of Galleria Dental Aesthetics are available to help patients in achieving the healthy smiles they’ve wanted, and assist them in maintaining them over the years. If you are ready for a lifetime of beautiful teeth and gums, contact our facility to schedule a comprehensive examination. Call (703) 448-1020.